Attorney Riley Law Offices | Madison WI | Real Estate | Wisconsin Attorney

For legal advice you can trust
and fees you can afford



Basic Estate Planning Documents

In the absence of a will, a party’s assets are passed by intestate succession. Basically, statutes will dictate who receives your assets instead of you. Intestate succession passes the property in accordance with a table of your surviving relatives in descending order depending upon who survives you. That order starts with your surviving spouse, then your children, then your parents, brothers and sisters, etc.

wills protect minor children

If you have minor children it is important to include trust provisions in your will in the event that both you and your spouse should predecease your children. Creating a trust allows for your property to be preserved and invested for the benefit of your minor child or children. The trust designates a trustee to manage and distribute the assets for the health, welfare, and education of your children. The trust can also designate the age at which your children have the right to receive the assets of the trust outright.

Your will should also designate a preferred guardian to have the care and custody of your minor children. The guardian may, in certain instances, be the same person who is designated as the trustee. Obviously, your guardian and trustee must be a person or persons in whom you have absolute faith and trust.

Divorced parents with minor children will absolutely want to have a will with trust provisions. In the absence of a will with trust, the parent’s estate will be placed in a guardian’s account for the benefit of any minor children. That guardian would be appointed by the Court and would, in all likelihood, be the ex-spouse.

basic estate planning package

I offer a very reasonable flat fee for the drafting of all three of these documents for both married parties, partners, or individuals. Call or e-mail my office for a quote on these services.

Please also refer to basic estate planning, power of attorney and health care provisions.

Contact Riley Law Office

If Attorney Riley may be of assistance to you with your legal situation, please contact him for a free initial consultation at (608) 833-3880. Attorney Riley will be happy to speak with you with no obligation on your part.

Free Initial Consultation

If I may be of assistance to you and help you with your legal situation, please contact me at (608) 833-3880. I will happy to speak with you with no obligation on your part.

"I also believe that when hiring an attorney, particularly with regard to family law, it is essential that a prospective client have an opportunity to meet and discuss their case with that attorney. It is for this reason that I offer a free no obligation one half hour consultation. A client who is going to entrust an attorney with their most personal and important legal needs should have the opportunity to meet that attorney without opening their purse or wallet."

"I also sincerely believe that a client deserves thorough and effective advocacy and representation at a fair and reasonable cost. As such, I have maintained a very competitive retainer and fee schedule over the course of my more than three decades in practice."

Respectfully yours,

Timothy S. Riley
Attorney at Law
Contact Attorney Riley
T: (608) 833-3880

Have Questions?
Need Answers?